28 November 2011

Review: Roy Roberts - Strange Love



Is it possible to call an album the blues when it makes me feel good? If this is what Strange Love feels like I could easily become and addict.
Blues Legend Roy Roberts has one of those voices that feels like an old friend. I liked it from the first listen. It’s the perfect courier to carry Roy’s thought provoking lyrics over a sea of tasty guitar licks.
This album starts strong with a funky little blues number called “My Love Bone”. It has a nice groove and the keyboard part takes me back to Stevie Wonder’s “Superstition”, which seems fitting since Roy has played with Stevie.
Listening to “I Truly Love You” I kept trying to nail down what it reminded me of. After listening to it for a couple of days I realize that it had the same feel as “This Old Heart of Mine” by the Isley Brothers. I think you can hear B.B. King’s influence in “Hey Baby” and “I Can’t Wait” sounds like a cross between Chuck Berry and Stevie Ray Vaughan.
My favorite track on the album is “A Woman Needs Love”. If Plato were alive today Roy would give him a run for his money when it comes to philosophy. Here is a man that has lived and is willing to pass on some of his wisdom. I’ll take it!
The arrangements on Strange Love are just right. Every note seems to be completely thought out. There isn’t a stray note anywhere.

4/5 Stars

Key Tracks:
A Woman Needs Love, The Next Time, I Truly Love You
Kirk Bullough


Tracks:
1.   My Love Bone
2.   I truly Love You
3.   Hey Baby
4.   Strange Love
5.   I'm Never Gonna Stop
6.   Wait For Me
7.   A Woman Needs Love
8.   We Still Together
9.  The Next Time
10. I Can't Wait




Artist: Roy Roberts
Title: Strange Love
Genre: Blues
Label: Ocean Beach Records

No comments: